Monday, September 18, 2006

Good Math Grade


Five weeks into the semester Katee gets a progress report from her math instructor at Bossier Parish Community College. The energy around her is light as she gets into the Blazer after class.

"I got my test back." She pulls a stapled stack of papers from a notebook. "I scored 93, an A."

She is truly surprised. So many self doubts linger because of all the ugly public (and private) school experiences she had.

"That's awesome. I knew you were smart." I tell her as the little truck chugs away from the sidewalk.

We celebrate with a lunch of chicken strips and Belgian waffles at IHOP. Even though it's a happy day there is a little piece of my heart that's sad. Why couldn't Katee's public school provide the accommodations she was legally entitled to so she could have had a normal high school education?

1 Comments:

Blogger Crazy In Shreveport said...

Oh,no. Getting her GED and BPCC helped her. We did no math when we home schooled.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home